Never Forget: review

A city girl.

A small town boy.

A summer they'll never forget.

Spending the summer at her Grammy's in Lilac Bay, Devon, is city girl Alexis 'Lexy' Edwards idea of hell. That is, until she reconnects with her childhood friend, Jen, and meets Alec Johnson.

Alec is the kind of guy Lexy knows she needs to stay away from. He's the village flirt, ridiculously hot and very dangerous to her self-control. But there's a problem – she can't seem to keep him out, even though she knows he'll break her heart.

As Alec slowly strips away Lexy's defenses and the two embark on a summer romance she never wanted, their feelings grow to more than either expected. But nothing lasts forever, and reality intrudes.

As her world is shaken to its core, Lexy's self-made prediction comes true when she discovers she's spent six weeks surrounded by secrets. Kept out by her family and the only guy she's ever trusted, she falls apart. And when Grammy tells her that 'you might not end up where you wanted to be, but you'll always end up where you're meant to be,' she has to figure out if her meant to be is back home in London, or if it's been in Devon the whole time.




My thoughts:

What can I say about this book? So much. First, it was the first book I read that was just romance. But, I am not new to romance. Here goes my big secret, I do watch a lot of romance films. Okay, you can ask why. Because…I learn from them.

Never Forget. When I began reading, I was into it. Something about Lexy was intriguing. She was new to Lilac Bay and she told the story gently. Yes, I enjoyed the beginning a lot. But I would not like to be her. I know the smell of cow (something) too well [You can laugh because it’s true]. (I am scared of cows!)

What I found a bit strange at the beginning was Lexy’s voice and Alec’s voice. How? At times I felt like Alec and Lexy were the same person. There was no difference in the way both of them acted, or talked. I guess you can take this as good or as bad. As good, because that means they are like each other; as bad, because there is no distinction between the two.

As we move into the story, there comes the drama. I am guilty of this, but I did like it. Sorry, I can’t tell you exactly what happens. But I’ll give you a hint…when a guy messes with your girlfriend… It is until the trouble comes that Lexy and Alec are pushed together. He feels the need to protect her. And she likes it. Maybe. Sometimes she’s stubborn. Not because she wants to but because she wants to protect herself from getting hurt by the feeling we all dread.

I was a little disappointed that there was no strong issue as a back story. I know. The only thing that kept me reading at times was the relationship and the love that grew between Lexy and Alec, which felt weak at times, but Lexy always managed to keep afloat. I don’t mean the love was forced. Although, Alec did try so very hard to get her.

As you expect, Lexy allows Alec to love her. And she does more than her best to love him. At this point of the book, both characters have developed and their voices do shift a little; they do not blind you with common descriptions about what we already know.

We get to know how Lexy feels and how Alec feels. However, I must say, I could not connect with either of them when it came to love. I’ve loved before and neither of them made me remember of how sweet that feeling is. Their love was too different or Lexy and Alec mistakenly basked me in too much sun and not in enough delicious for my brain.

There was the climax of the story, if you might say, which in fact…does have a climax of its own! [Ha-ha-ha!] Okay, now you’re wishing you would read the book! [Yes, think about it. Hard. You’ll get there. Keep thinking!] That part got me completely off guard.

Which brings me to the next: one moment we’re all happy, the next everything is crumbling down. I could not stop reading. Call me a liar. The endings are always my favorites, and I take a peek at most books so I know what to expect. This ending was so good. And it was one of my favorites! I was not expecting it because nothing told me it was going to happen. It just did. I loved it.

I know, you want me to continue telling you about the love story. Unfortunately, I can’t. You just have to read it. I can tell you, though, giving the book a chance is worth it.

Who doesn't love a happy ending? But like someone said, “for there to be a rainbow we must get a little rain.


P.S. I don’t think Lexy or Alec will ever forget.


P.S.S. Me either.




Emma Hart





By day, Emma Hart dons a cape and calls herself Super Mum to a terrible two year old. By night, she drops the cape, pours a glass of wine and writes books.

She likes to write about magic, kisses and whatever else she can fit into the story. Sarcastic, witty characters are a must. As are hot guys. She has two new series planned as well as her New Adult Romance, Never Forget, due February 2013. She likes to be busy - unless busy involves doing the dishes.
Her debut YA series, The Mauve Legacy, is an Apple iBooks Bestseller - and this makes Emma excited.



Emma's Profiles:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rustic Stars: Release Day!

Thursday’s Children March 28, 2013

Thursday’s Children March 21, 2013