Magisterium: review

2.5/5 stars!

On one side of the Rift is a technological paradise without famine or want. On the other side is a mystery.

Sixteen-year-old Glenn Morgan has lived next to the Rift her entire life and has no idea of what might be on the other side of it. Glenn's only friend, Kevin, insists the fence holds back a world of monsters and witchcraft, but magic isn't for Glenn. She has enough problems with reality: Glenn's mother disappeared when she was six, and soon after, she lost her scientist father to his all-consuming work on the mysterious Project. Glenn buries herself in her studies and dreams about the day she can escape. But when her father's work leads to his arrest, he gives Glenn a simple metal bracelet that will send Glenn and Kevin on the run---with only one place to go.


My thoughts:
** spoiler alert **

So, I was challenged to read this book in 4 hours. And I tried. I finished reading it in 4 hours and 7 minutes. (Yes, I put a timer on myself and read. I had fun!)
Which is why my next comment can apply: this book is a very fast, light, and raw read.

Let's get to it.

We are introduced to this girl named Glenn (Glennora) who lives with her dad. Her dad is working on a Project. Very, very soon we find out what that project is.
I was into the story at the beginning because it was about Glenn being in this futuristic place filled with technology. But the story lacked technology. In the whole story there were only so many things that were from "the future." One of those were clothes that kept their bodies at certain temperature.

Heck, this is interesting; Glenn lives behind a border where everything seems amazing, but somehow it isn't. Her knowledge of what is on the other side of the border is dull. Everything she knows is because of the technology she was provided with. Great. She is obsessed with this planet, I think that is, 813. At the beginning of the story I thought she was going to end up flying to this star, 813. But she just tells me about it and goes on a completely different route in the story.

"The Project" is a bracelet. Her dad creates a bracelet to bring back her mother, if I recall, who is (was taken?) stuck on the other side of the border. But Glenn is stupid and she tells Kevin's dad, who is important, I guess. Since the story doesn't interact much with him, I didn't care to pay attention.
Oh, sorry, Kevin is a boy. I think he and Glenn are best friends, because they fight, there is nothing romantic going on with them...until the end, when they kiss. But no, no romanticism at all. If Glenn told me there was something special between them all, it was so vague I didn't care.

Back to it. Suddenly Glenn and her dad are running away because the government wants the bracelet her father created.
What? Yes, I know.
And then the house is blown, Kevin and Glenn cross to the other side, the dad gets taken away, Kevin gets shot.

I mean, WOO! SPOILERS OVER HERE.

Sometimes I had to reread some parts because the narration was so fast.
One moment this was happening, the next this other thing was happening. And I was left asking, "what the hell?"
There was lack of narration. Was there a fence protecting these two sides? Glenn and Kevin crossing the border was so fast that I felt like I was in a cloud and my vision was blurry.

On the other side, both are saved by this creature with fangs (maybe the one on the cover? Oh, never mind, that is the Magistra. [I'll explain soon]) Well, I think he is a cat who was turned into...That--a creature, human-looking?
On this side, they fear a bad witch (he-he). She is the Magistra. I think she is supposed to be very evil. But in my opinion, there was no evil in here.
Then the middle of the story happens, there is talking, and planning, and plotting, and a killing, and more killing.
Glenn discovers that the Magistra is her mother.
Kevin plans to kill the Magistra and Glenn finds this out. She doesn't want to kill her mother, this and that.
There is the end when the Magistra comes to Glenn and they meet. I thought it was a good climax, but it ended very, very quickly. The Magistra was shot and Glenn had to go back to her "home" to get her help.
By this point in the story I was confused about the bracelet. What was it supposed to do?
Well, the government ends up taking the bracelet, Glenn and her father meet again; and Kevin and her are in love?
Before I know it, there is more shooting and then no more shooting. So...that planet? And her mom?

Gah.

There were many characters that I didn't care about. I think the only three I knew were the cat (Aamon), Kevin, and Glenn. Since the Magistra spent only like 3 chapters with her, I soon forgot she even existed.

Final verdict: the story is like a short story, in bulky mode, and on steroids.

[Funny isn't it?]



[The synopsis was taken from www.Goodreads.com , including my thoughts, which were first published there]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rustic Stars: Release Day!

Thursday’s Children March 28, 2013

Thursday’s Children March 21, 2013